The Emery Center, formerly Emery Street School is located in Dalton, Georgia. Our mission is, “to promote an awareness of African American culture and heritage while fostering an atmosphere of trust, integrity, and respect for all cultures.”
The school was initially constructed in 1886 to address the educational needs of African American children in Dalton and surrounding areas. From 1937-1968 grade levels at Emery Street School ranged from K-12. In 1968, the school was integrated into the Dalton Public School System. Years later, Emery Street School became City Park Middle School. In 1999, the city of Dalton decided to demolish City Park School; however, concerned African American Citizens fought against this order and presented a resolution to the Mayor of Dalton and the City Council. Their request was granted and it was decided that Emery Street School would be preserved. In June 2001, the Emery Street Preservation Committee began working on what is now the Emery Center. Today, the Center serves as an African American Heritage and Multicultural Center.